Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Green Grapefruit


When I was young I spent a lot of time with my Abuelos (grandparents.) Both my parents worked during the day, so until I was old enough for school, I spent most of my days at my Abuelo's farm. For breakfast, if we wanted juice we usually only had 2 options: Grapefruit juice or Orange Juice (from concentrate.) Grapefruit juice was always ready to go in the refrigerator, but the OJ required work, so my usual choice was the grapefruit. Many people (young and old) don't care for the tartness of grapefruit juice, but I like it. Now a days, when I have some I flashback to the kitchen table at my Abuelo's house, sitting there having some breakfast, while my Abuela busies herself in the kitchen doing the things she did.

This smoothie reminded me of breakfasts back in the day because it tasted like grapefruit juice. The pineapple helped soften the tartness, but didn't dissolve the grapefruit flavor. If you enjoy an occasional grapefruit, give this one a try. I will definitely make this one again.








The Green Grapefruit

1 1/2 C Water
1 Grapefruit, peeled
2 C Frozen Pineapple
2 C Fresh Spinach

Layer ingredients in blender, in order listed, and blend for 30-40 seconds. Using frozen pineapple helps keep this smoothie cold. If you are using fresh pineapple, you might cut down the water amount, and use some ice instead. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment