Monday, January 12, 2015

Snickerdoodles


I used to back so much more than I do now. Every once in a while I get hit with the baking bug and I pump out different cupcakes, cookies, and desserts, but it's not as frequently as before. I joked with my husband, and told him that I'd bake him cookies, so a few hours before he came home I had to hurry up and throw something together. Logically I hopped onto Pinterest and sought out an easy recipe. I hadn't made snickerdoodles in a while, and I came across a recipe for "The Best Snickerdoodles" and decided to give it a whirl. The cookies came out soft, just as I had hoped but they didn't taste as sweet as I recall them being. Over all, they were tasty, but I think I'll probably stick to my old recipe (which is in a recipe box....somewhere in my kitchen!)

Snickerdoodles
Inspired by a recipe from Averie Cooks

For Cookies
1/2 C Unsalted Butter, room temperature
1/2 C Granulated Sugar
1/3 C Light Brown Sugar, packed
1 large Egg
1 tsp Madagascar Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 C AP Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Kosher Salt

For Coating
1/3 C Granulated Sugar
2 Tbsp Cinnamon (I used Korintje)

In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugars. Once combined, add the egg and vanilla. Scrape down your bowl, then slowly begin to add your flour mixture into your wet ingredients, until just combined. Scrape down your bowl, then use a 1" scoop to scoop out dough into balls, and place in an easy to cover dish. Roll them into semi-uniform balls, cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. While your dough chills, prep 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper and prep your coating.

For coating just combine your sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl, then set aside.



Once the dough has chilled and you're ready to bake, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Remove dough balls from dish and roll in cinnamon-sugar mixture until completely coated. Place on cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until edges are set and centers are just set. Do not over bake, or you'll get crunchy doodles, versus soft chewy ones! Once they are out of the oven, let them cool on the cookie sheet for 8-10 minutes, then remove them to a wire rack to finish cooling. 


No comments:

Post a Comment