Sunday, May 6, 2012

No time for a siesta, when you have a Pineapple Chile-Lime fiesta!


Posted by Picasa
When I was younger my parents would take us to Mexico every couple of years to visit my dad's side of the family. While there, when we were hit with a craving for something sweet, a Snicker's bar wasn't usually easy to find. What was easy to find was fruit. To add some pizzazz to the fruit, we would top it with this chile-lime-stuff. I only ever had it when I was in Mexico, until about 15 yrs ago when the stuff started appearing in grocery stores up here in Indiana. A couple of years ago I introduced it to my husband who looooooved it. When coming up with cupcake ideas he suggested that I come up with a completely unique cupcake that I could call my own. While brainstorming for ideas, he suggested a pineapple-chile cupcake. I was pretty skeptical at first because I just didn't know it would flow. I knew that the chile and the pineapple would meld well, but incorporated with a cupcake? Who knows?
Well, lucky for me my husband is persistent because the cupcake was a success. We presented them to familiy & friends at our Cinco de Mayo party this weekend and they were a hit! The sweet pineapple cupcake was accented with the tart & spicy hint of chile that we combined in the batter, as well as sprinkled on top. I made these as mini cupcake because in order for one to get the ultimate experience, you had to get all of the flavors in one bite. Plus, mini cupcakes are adorable! Without further adieu, my Pineapple Chile-Lime Cupcake!

Pineapple Chile-Lime Cupcake

For the batter:
1 c unsalted butter, room tempreature
1 3/4 c sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp Mexican vanilla
1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c cake flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 c milk
1 can (20 oz) crushed pineapple, in 100% juice,
2 Tbsp pineapple juice (from the can of crushed pineapple)
1 1/2 Tbsp lime zest
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Tajin Classico seasoning (found in produce section of grocery stores)

For the frosting:
1/2 c unsalted butter, softened
1/2 c shortening
3 1/2 Tbsp pineapple juice (from the can of crushed pineapple)
4 c confectioners' sugar

For garnish:
Pineapple tidbits, preferably fresh, but out of a can work
Tajin

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prep your cupcake tins.
Strain your crushed pineapple in a mesh strainer very well, reserving your juice. Set aside.
In a medium sized bowl combine your flours, soda, powder, salt, and Tajin. Set aside.
Combine milk and pineapple juice. Set aside.
In your mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add your eggs, one at a time, making sure that they incorporate well. Mix in vanilla, then scrape down your bowl. Slowly add 1/3 of your flour mixture to your mixer bowl, followed by 1/2 of your milk mixture. Repeat this, then add the remainder of your flour mixture to your mixer bowl. Add lime zest and mix until just blended in. Remove mixer bowl from stand and gently fold in 3/4 of a cup of crushed pineapple.

Scoop batter into mini cupcake liners, then bake for 12 minutes, until tops of cupcakes bounce back when touched. Allow cupcakes to cool for about 7 minutes before removing them onto a cooling rack. While they cool completely, start working on your frosting.

Cream together shortening, butter, and pineapple juice. Slowly add powdered sugar, about 1/4 c at a time. Mix until desired consistency is reached. It took me about 3 1/2 Tbsp of pineapple juice to get it just right. Fill your piping bag and pipe cupcakes. Top each cupcake with 1 pineapple tidbit and a dash of the Tajin seasoning. 

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I missed this! It sounds very exotic (and very Mexican).

    ReplyDelete