Friday, May 11, 2012

mmmmmm...mocha.....


Posted by Picasa
I lived in Seattle for almost a year, in 2001. While there I ended up working at Starbucks for a short time. In that short time I became a coffee addict. Oh yeah, all of you fellow coffee addicts out there know exactly what I mean. One of my favorite drinks was a mocha, or any variation of a mocha.
As much as I loved/love Starbucks, there was a little coffee shop a few blocks away from our apartment that made a killer mocha. When I walked into that coffee shop I was hit with the amazing scents of freshly baked goods and delicious coffee. For the life of me, I can't remember what the shop was called. Anyway, yesterday, when I opened my oven to pull out these cupcakes, my mind immediately took me back 11 yrs, to that little coffee shop in Greenlake. The scent of the baked goods, in combination with the chocolate & coffee made me flash back, and it was wonderful.
To improve matters, when I took my first bite, I was lost in the deliciousness. The just strong enough coffee flavor penetrated through the moist chocolate cupcake, and was accented by the coffee buttercream which topped the cupcake. I received many compliments on this one, from both coffee drinkers and non-coffee drinkers. This would be a perfect ending to a meal, or a perfect beginning to a day! I'm not going to lie, I totally had one of these for breakfast this week. Deee-lish!!

Mochaccino Cupcakes
from BHG Magazine, or their website

For the cupcake:
3/4 c unsalted butter, softened
3 eggs
1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
1 c dutch processed cocoa (I used Valrhona, purchased at Sur La Table)
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 c whole milk
1/2 c strong brewed coffee, cooled
2 c granulated sugar
2 tsp Mexican vanilla
3 oz bittersweet chocolate, coursly chopped into small pieces

For the coffee buttercream:
1/3 c unsalted butter, room temperature
4 c confectioners' sugar
3-4 Tbsp of the same coffee from above
1 tsp Mexican vanilla

For the garnish (optional)
30 creme-filled rolled wafers, such as Pirouettes

Let eggs, butter, and milk sit at room temperature for about 20-25 minutes. Prep your cupcake pans with liners. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together and set aside. In a large measuring cup combine milk and coffee. Set aside. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

In your mixing bowl beat butter at high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1/4 c at a time, beating until light and fluffy. Scrape down your bowl and continue to beat for 2 minutes. Decrease your mixer speed to low and add your eggs, one at a time. Beat in vanilla. Scrape down your bowl, then set at low speed. Slowly alternate addition of flour mixture and coffee mixture, ending with the flour mixture. Remove bowl from mixer stand and stir in chocolate pieces. Scoop into prepared cupcake liners and bake at 350 for 18 minutes. Cool cupcakes for 5 minutes in the pan, then remove to wire rack to finish cooling.

While they cool, prepare your frosting. Beat butter for about 30 seconds until smooth. Add 1 cup of confectioners sugar, 3 Tbsp coffee, and vanilla. Continue to add sugar, about 1/4 c at a time. Add more coffee to reach desired consistency. I think I used about 4 Tbsp total.

Pipe or spread onto cupcakes and garnish with Pirouettes right before serving, if desired. Enjoy!!







No comments:

Post a Comment