Thursday, February 26, 2015

Make ahead breakfast sandwiches




I am lucky enough to be a stay at home mom Mon-Fri, meanwhile my husband works hard all week long. He leaves for work early, and usually doesn't have much more than a cup of coffee until lunch time. I decided that I should try to be a good wife and make him some breakfast, so he isn't starving all day. The key to making sure he eats in the morning is ensuring that whatever the food is, it's mega tasty and easy to carry, since he'll probably be eating it on the way to work. Since my husband's favorite thing is bacon, I thought I'd make him some breakfast sandwiches. What's great about these is that they freeze well, so I can make them on Sunday evening and he's set for the week.

Here's what you'll need:

Muffin top pan, or regular muffin tin because only weirdos like me own a muffin top pan
6 English muffins
6 Eggs
6-8 strips of bacon
Cheese, if desired
Salt & Pepper to taste
Approx 1 Tbsp butter, softened
Parchment paper
Cooking twine
2 Freezer bags

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. 
Take your softened butter and smear it inside your muffin top/muffin tin cavities, to ensure your eggs don't stick. Crack one egg at a time into a prep bowl, then pour it into one of the empty cavities. Repeat for all your eggs. Take a fork and break each yolk, then sprinkle each egg with salt and pepper. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until yolk is completely cooked. When you pull them out, they'll look like this.


While your eggs are baking you can cook your bacon in a skillet, or you can prep it on a baking sheet, so you can bake it once your eggs come out of the oven. 

Once your bacon and eggs are ready, toast your English muffins. I pop 3 split muffins in my toaster oven at a time, so I can get this done quicker, but if you don't have a toaster oven, just toast them up in your toaster, if you want. Once you have a nice warm muffin ready, start to assemble. 



I love my muffin top pan because as you can see, the eggs aren't super fat, and are just a tad smaller than the English muffin. This ensures an eggy bite each time! 

After all your sandwiches are built, wrap them individually in a piece of parchment paper, then tie them with cooking twine. 


At this point I will put 3 sandwiches in each freezer bag. I'll put one bag in the freezer, and one in the fridge. In the morning, when my husband gets ready for work he'll grab one of the refrigerated sandwiches and pop it in the toaster oven for 3-4 minutes. This will warm it all up, and melt the cheese. If you don't have a toaster oven you can pop it in your microwave for 3-4 minutes, or until it's nice and warm. I try to pull a frozen sandwich out the night before, and keep it in the fridge, so when he goes to warm it, it's not entirely frozen.
Hope you enjoy these as much as we do!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment