Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Kaskake

A while back I baked a cupcake in honor of my friend Mike's birthday. He drove into town for his birthday, and as much as I wanted to go out and have a drink in honor of his birthday, I couldn't. I have 3 kids at home and going out is pretty much unheard of anymore. To make up for the lack of night life, I put together this cupcake, adapted from 1 Fine Cookie. Not only was there beer in the cupcake and frosting, I sprinkled BACON on top. Hello, man's best friend!

( I know I posted a pic of this a few months ago, but I saved it as a cupcake of the week post for a week that I would be on vacation, that way, I wouldn't miss one! )

Without further adieu...




The Kaskake
adapted from 1 Fine Cookie

For the cupcake:

1 1/2 c cake flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp kosher salt
2 eggs
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 c packed light brown sugar
1 16oz can/bottle of beer - I used Stella Artois

For the frosting:
1 c unsalted butter
5 c confectioners sugar
4-6 Tbsp of same beer used in cupcake

For the garnish:
Crispy bacon, diced

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and prep your cupcake trays with liners.
In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In your mixer, cream brown sugar and butter together. Add your eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Once well blended, begin alternating the addition of your drys and your beer, starting and ending with the drys. Mix on low until just combined, then remove from mixer.

Scoop batter into cupcake liners and bake 12-15 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool these for 10 minutes in the trays, then remove to wire rack. While they cool completely, prepare your frosting.

Beat butter, and 3 Tbsp beer, until creamy. Add powdered sugar to bowl. Beat until smooth, adding more beer, if needed to reach your desired consistency. Once cupcakes are completely cool, spread, or pipe onto your cupcakes. I didn't want to over-do it with the frosting, so I used a tip to pipe thin lines of frosting over cupcakes, making them look like spaghetti. Once they were frosted to my liking, I sprinkled bacon over top.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment