Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Okay to Kale

Ever since my amazing husband bought me a Vitamix, I have been obsessed with smoothies. Luckily my boys are big fans too. It's gotten to the point where one of the first things I hear out of their mouths in the morning is "Mom! Can I have a smoothie?!?" I take advantage of their love of these tasty beverages by incorporating some healthy leafy greens. Many of the recipes I see consist of using Kale instead of spinach, but since I'd never actually had Kale, I steered clear of it....until today! This morning I made a pretty basic smoothie, but used kale instead of my usual spinach. The other difference here was that instead of using a milky base, I used water. The end result was more of a juice, versus smoothie, which was not a bad thing. Sometimes I want something thinner, versus the thick consistency of a smoothie so I was good with the change. With spinach, I've never been able to taste anything except the fruit, but when I used the kale I did taste a more leafy flavor. I poured some for my 3 year old who did drink some, but didn't chug it like his usual smoothies. I did not add any additional sweetener, so what you see below is exactly what we had. I enjoyed the freshness of the juice, and will most likely go back for more. Thus far, kale is a keeper! 


Okay to Kale 

2 C. Water
1 1/2 C. Fresh Kale
1 Banana
1 C. Frozen Strawberries
1 C. Frozen Pineapple 

Combine all ingredients in order listed and blend for 45 seconds*, or until you reach a smooth consistency. 

*Since I am using a Vitamix, your blend time may differ from mine

No comments:

Post a Comment