Saturday, November 17, 2012

That's the way...(uh huh, uh huh) Chai Like it!

No joke - my first experience with Chai was about 8 months ago. Earlier this year I was selling Tastefully Simple products, and one of the samples we had was a Chai frozen beverage. I had never had anything Chai flavored, before that. I think, in my head, I had decided I didn't like it. Well, that changed pretty quickly! Don't get my wrong, I'm not ordering Chai Latte's all the time, or anything, but the flavor, itself, was delish!!

When I saw this recipe I knew it was a must, but I didn't know when to squeeze it in. I figured that before Thanksgiving would be the perfect time. I like to associate cinnamon and nutmeg with Fall, so this seemed like a fitting flavor. This recipe only made 1 dozen, so only a select few had the opportunity to taste them. Those who did get to have one, were fans!! This recipe is a keeper.

Vanilla Chai Cupcakes
adapted from the Culinary Enthusiest

For the Chai spice blend:

1 1/2 tsp ground cardemom
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg

For the cupcakes:

1/2 c unsalted butter, softened
1 c sugar
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
2 eggs
2 tsp chai spice blend
1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c buttermilk
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar

For the frosting:

1/2 c unsalted butter, softened
1/2 c shortening
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 c confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 tsp chai spice blend
2-3 dashes cinnamon
1-2 tsp water

Preheat your oven to 350, and line your muffin tray with cupcake liners. Set aside

Cream butter and sugar together, at medium speed, for 2-3 minutes. Reduce speed to low and add scraped vanilla bean seeds to mixer, followed by eggs and 2 tsp of chai spice blend. Once all is combined, remove mixer bowl from mixer, and stir in 1/2 of your flour, followed by buttermilk, then followed by remaining half of flour. Mix only until combined. In a small bowl, mix baking soda and vinegar together, until foamy. Pour over batter, then fold in.

Scoop batter into prepared pan and bake for 15-17 minutes, or until edges become brown, and tops are slightly firm when touched.

While cupcakes bake, prepare your frosting. Place shortening and butter in bowl, and cream together with vanilla. Add powdered sugar, a 1/2 cup at a time. Add water, if needed to thin consistency. Mix in desired amount of remaining chai spice blend (I used 1 1/2 tsp). If desired, add some extra cinnamon, to taste. Once cupcakes are completely cool, frost and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment