Friday, October 12, 2012

The Great Pumpkin

I LOVE Charlie Brown. Once upon a time, someone gave me the box set of the main 3 Charlie Brown Specials - The Christmas one, the Thanksgiving one, and the Great Pumpkin one. I watch them every year, and I don't get sick of them. I can't get over seeing Charlie Brown dressed up as a ghost, with 5,000 holes cut in his sheet, due to him having issues with the installation of the eye-holes. Linus' situation always makes me sad....it tears me up to see him so disappointed after missing the appearnace of the Great Pumpkin. "Maybe next year, Linus!"
Oh, and who can forget Snoop's costume - A WW1 flying ace! Classic!!!
I'd been hunting for a Pumpkin cupcake recipe for a little while, and came across this one on Sweetopia.net I had to double it, in order to get more than 12 cupcakes out of the deal, because they were SOOOO yum! These cupcakes were super moist, and very pumpkin-y. After just one bite, I promised myself that I'd have to bake more pumpkin-inspired things before the season was over. I always forget how much I love pumpkin until my first bite of pumpkin pie, or my mom's Pumpkin Bars (mmmm....) Looks like I'll be hitting up the store to stock up on some more pumpkin soon!!

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting

For the cupcakes:

2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
2 heaping tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
4 large eggs
1 15oz can pumpkin
1 c granulated sugar
1 c light brown sugar, packed
1 c vegetable oil

For the frosting:
1 8oz block cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 c unsalted butter, room temperature
2-3 Tbsp good quality maple syrup
5 c confectioners' sugar
1-2 Tbsp water

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the rest of your cupcake ingredients, and whisk together, to make sure all is thoroughly incorporated, and smooth. Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients, and stir, with a spoon, until batter is blended well.

Scoop batter into cupcake liners, then bake for about 20-25 minutes, until centers bounce back, when touched. Allow to cool in pan for about 7 minutes, then cool completely on wire rack.

For frosting, cream together butter, cream cheese, and 2 Tbsp syrup. Add half of your confectioners' sugar. Mix to combine, then add remainder of sugar. Add water, as necessary, to reach desired consistency. Taste frosting, and if you want more maple flavor, add more syrup.
Pipe, or spread onto cupcakes - enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment