Thursday, September 27, 2012

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezey

I've been busy, lately. Like...mega-busy. I feel like September disappeared almost as fast as it began. For this reason, I am going to try and play "catch-up" with my blog. I do have some exciting news, though. I officially launched my cupcake business the first week of September. I am officially a home-based vendor, and my business is called 'Sweet Little Affair.' Cute, huh? I thought so. Basically, I'll be baking cupcakes and selling from my home. I am hoping to drum up some business during the holidays, so you'll probably see quite a few Fall & Winter themed cupcakes within the next few weeks, in preparation of Thanksgiving and Christmas.

This cupcake came together really quickly, and it really wasn't planned. My friend had mentioned she wanted a lemon cupcake, so I picked up a bag of lemons and head home, hoping I could throw something together. This cupcake was very dense, but delicious. The lemon flavor came through the cake wonderfully, and the frosting did a great job of highlighting it as well. The recipe only made a dozen cupcakes, but the frosting could have possibly frosted 2 dozen, if you decide to double it.

Lemon Cream Cupcakes
inspired by The Baker Chick

For the Cupcake:
1/2 c unsalted butter, softened
3 oz cream cheese
2 Tbsp lemon zest (about 2 small medium lemons)
2/3 c sugar
1 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt

For the frosting:
5 oz pkg cream cheese
2 c confectioners' sugar
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp vanilla
1-2 tsp lemon

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees, and prepare your cupcake pans, by lining them with cupcake papers.
In your mixer bowl, cream together the cream cheese, lemon zest, and sugar. Beat for 2-3 minutes, or until smooth, then add eggs, one at a time. Combine flour, baking powder, and sugar in a separate bowl. Reduce mixer speed to low, and slowly add flour mixture. Mix for about minute, or until  just combined.

Scoop batter into cupcake pan, and bake at 325 for 20 minutes, or until tops are firm. Make sure you touch the tops, as these cupcakes are very pale, and they really won't brown on top, like others do.
Allow to cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then cool on wire rack.

While cupcakes cool, prepare your frosting. Combine cream cheese, zest, juice, and vanilla in mixer bowl. Beat until creamy, then add confectioners' sugar. Beat until smooth. You can add more sugar, if frosting is too soft, or more juice if too stiff.

Pipe, or spread on completely cooled cupcakes, then ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment