Sunday, April 1, 2012

Eh... What's up Doc?...



So, a couple of weeks ago I had some extra cream cheese frosting left over from some cupcakes I made for someone, and I hated to let it go to waste. I racked my brain for a couple of seconds, trying to come up with a potential idea for usage of the frosting. Luckily, I was planning on making some carrot baby food in a few days, so I had carrots. Carrots + cream cheese frosting = CARROT CAKE CUPCAKES! I threw them together literally 2 hrs before I left for work, and handed a few out. After the reactions I received, I realized that I needed to make them again, and post them on the blog. So.....here you go!

Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Inspired by The Sono Baking Company Cookbook

For the cupcakes:
2 1/2 c cake flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
16 oz peeled & shredded carrots (use your Microplane to ensure they are nice & fine)
2/3 c sour cream
2 c granulated sugar
1 c vegetable oil
4 large eggs

For the cream cheese frosting:
8 oz cream cheese frosting, room temperature
1/2 c unsalted butter, room temperature
pinch of kosher salt
4 c confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Zest of one orange (or if you're like me, use 2-3 Cuties because those are more commonly found in the house)
2 tsp grated ginger

Preheat your oven at 350 degrees and prep your muffin trays. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

In a large bowl, combine your carrots, sour cream, sugar, oil, and eggs. Whisk to incorporate, then add your dry ingredients. FOLD do NOT whisk them in. You want to ensure that the batter stays as airy as possible. Continue to fold until dry's are incorporated completely.

Grab your trusty ice cream scoop and fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full. These really won't puff up much, so, 3/4 full is safe. Place them in the oven and bake for 20-24 minutes, making sure you rotate the pan about 1/2 way through the baking process.

Place pan on cooling rack, and let them cool for about 10 minutes, then take them out and cool completely. (Seriously...if you try to put cream cheese frosting on a warm cupcake you are only asking for a slimy mess!)

While your cupcakes cool, prep your frosting. Put your butter, cream cheese, and vanilla in the bowl of your mixer. Slowly add your confectioners sugar, about 1/2 a cup at a time, to avoid a snowstorm from happening in your kitchen. Once the sugar is mixed in well, add your zest. I suggest that if you do not own a Microplane, GET ONE. My husband  bought one for me at Sur La Table and the first time I used it, it was like MAGIC! Truuuuust me. You need one.

Anyway, beat in zest and ginger, then pipe onto your cupcakes. If you want to get fancy, garnish your cupcakes with a little carrot peel. As you can see from my picture, I didn't get fancy with these. Don't worry, though -- the flavor and texture of this cupcake is fancy enough!
Have fun, and enjoy!

1 comment: