Thursday, March 1, 2012

Bacon Makes it Better


When word got out about this cupcake, the reaction was the same. "Wooooaaah! That sounds AMAZING! When will they be ready?" Needless to say, that added some pressure on me. "What if they don't turn out?" "What if they are gross?" Ugh....going into this one was nerve wracking - then I tasted the batter and realized that all my worries might have been for nothing. "If the batter is this good, surly the cupcakes will be deliciouso as well, right?"
I pulled a batch out of the oven and basically stared at them for 10 minutes while I waited for them to cool in the pan....then I took them out of the pan, and continued to stare at them until they were cool enough to eat. I took my first bite and seriously said out loud, "Oh my goodness....I can't BELIEVE that worked!!!" When you try these on your own, I believe you will find yourself saying the same thing!

Maple Bacon Cupcakes
adapted from Vanilla Garlic

For the batter:
1 stick + 1 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 tbsp bacon grease (left in fridge to become solid)
2 eggs
1/2 c + 2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 c good quality maple syrup (I used a dark amber syrup)
2 1/2 c self-rising flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
3/4 c milk
3/4 c cooked bacon, cooled & diced

For the frosting:
1 stick of unsalted butter
5 tbsp maple syrup
3 c confectioners sugar

For the garnish (optional)
Turbinado sugar (or sugar in the raw)
Coarse grain sea salt
Pieces of bacon

Cook up bacon. I would recommend using a thick cut, and the best quality that is within your budget. I cooked up the entire package and had zero left over. (If your husband is at home, make sure you prep some extra, or you will run out before you get to the garnishing step)
Once bacon is cooked, pour grease into small dish and pop in the refrigerator. I would just put all of it in there. You may end up using more than 1 1/2 tbsp. Once it's cool enough, mince up your bacon, and set aside.

Preheat your oven to 365 degrees, and prep your cupcake pans. After grease has solidified, put that and room temperature butter in mixing bowl. Beat until creamy, then add your brown sugar & maple syrup. Once combined, add your eggs and mix well. Sift your dry ingredients together. Add 1/3 of your dry's to the butter/grease mixture. Add 1/2 of your milk. Repeat this, ending with dry's.

Check your flavor. If you want to add more syrup you may, but be cautious. First of all, the frosting is going to be really sweet. Second, maple syrup can break cake batter when too much is used. I think that if your batter has a slight maple flavor, you're good to go.

Fold in bacon (YAY!!!)  Using your trusty ice cream scoop, scoop batter into your cupcake liners. Fill up 1/2 way, as this batter will grow more than normal cupcake batter does.. Bake them at 365 degrees for 10 minutes. Rotate your pan, then bake for an additional 5-7 minutes. They are done with they bounce back when tops are touched (and when your toothpick comes out clean.) Let them cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove them to a cooling rack, and let them cool the rest of the way.

For the frosting, combine butter and maple syrup. Whip until creamy. Add your confectioners sugar, one cup at a time. Whip until it reaches your desired consistency. If it is too thick, add a few drops of water. If it is too thin, add some more confectioners sugar. This made barely enough frosting to coat all of my cupcakes. Depending on how you are planning on decorating, you may want to double the frosting recipe.

Pipe or spread onto your cupcake, then sprinkle with turbinado sugar & sea salt, if desired. Garnish with a piece of bacon from before....then....ENJOY!!

1 comment:

  1. I second that...bacon DOES make everything better! Almost always when someones hears bacon and cupcake together, the reaction is not a great one. Well, I am here to tell you don't knock it until you try it. Yeah, I definitely just went old school but it was absolutely necessary. This cupcake is AMAZING! If I could wake up and have one these every day for breakfast I would be one happy lady. The sweet and salty are perfectly matched. I've tried a bacon and maple syrup cupcake before when I was in Chicago and this one kills it. There wasn't an overwhelming amount of syrup, which is what I think put this one over the top for me. Give it a whirl everyone...I promise you'll fall in love.

    ReplyDelete